Wednesday 30 November 2011

Hearing Aids

Isobel's Hearing Aids
We took Isobel to get her Hearing Aids today. The weather was awful, pouring with rain, but we managed to get to the appointment not too wet.

And here they are. The one on the left (the darker coloured one) goes in her right ear. This is on loan from the hospital until it is replaced with the cochlear implant in February. The one on the right, goes in her left ear and is owned by us.

As you can see, the moulds turned out well from the impressions last week.


I'm not sure what I was expecting when the hearing aids were put on, but there was a serious amount of ear pulling, poking and pushing. An experience that I can't imagine I would have liked myself.

Check it out for yourself:


Hearing Aids and Equipment
Hearing aids come with quite a bit of equipment. There is a cleaning kit (per unit), 6 months worth of batteries, travel case and night time drying kit.


When they are not being worn, we need to make sure they are open with the batteries out, to conserve them. That way they might just last 15 days!

Hearing aids with the batteries out


Drying Kit
Then at night, we have to put them in this container that is filled with de-humidifying balls. The cool thing about these is they change from blue to pink when they are filled with water. 1 minute in the microwave and they change back to blue, ready to de-humidify again.

We have to start slowly with the wearing of the hearing aids. 1 hour today, 2 hours tomorrow, 3 hours on Saturday, building up to 8 hours. She also isn't to wear the hearing aids outside of the house for two weeks.


She wore them for an hour this evening and did a great job, after the initial 'getting them in' which Mummy clearly needs to practise, she hardly touched them at all. She was fantastic! And the beam on her face when she heard Estella say "Thank you Isobel" was precious.

I am so proud of my big girl with her 'special ears'! It was a truly special day.
Isobel 'Special Ears' Corben

21 comments:

  1. great news, Sal.

    Fra

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love 'Special Ears' Isobel very much

    ReplyDelete
  3. FABULOUS news!!! She is such a cutie and I am glad she is doing well with them so far....

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is so incredible! I can't believe how she sits still with all that pulling... she's so tolerant!! That's a real commentary on all you guys have done with her. Amazing. And that last picture is just .... gorgeous. Forgive my stupid question, but are the hearing aids turned on? I was thinking maybe she just learns how to have them in her ears first?? Don't know. Does she notice a difference? This is so exciting!

    ReplyDelete
  5. A big step. She looks very calm about the whole process. I can only imagine how things will begin to change for her and you all now. I'm sure you will have many precious moments. I hope the transition goes smoothly...

    ReplyDelete
  6. Following the blog closely - Well done Isobel XXX Sharon

    ReplyDelete
  7. awwwww... my heart goes out for her with all the adjustment ! Hoping for a smooth adjustment !

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great blog. I'm proud that isobel was able to get her hearing aid and I hope she gets better.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I hope she gets better! Also I think she is a very brave and a strong girl.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I hope she passes all the tests and is good enough for surgery. Get better soon.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I hope Isobel gets better. I learned a lot from the story. She is very brave. Not many kids get hearing aids, so good job Isobel.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I'm happy that Isobel is starting to hear well!
    I think that Isobel is a very brave girl.
    I'll try to keep up with the story!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Great job Isobel! I can't belive a little girl who is 4 years old has to have surgery!!!! She is a very brave girl!! Hope Ispbel gets better!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Isobel is very brave, I hope she will get better when she gets surgery. It was interesting to learn about her!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I wonder how much it hurt, she was so brave.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Isobel you are the bravest girl I have ever seen

    ReplyDelete
  17. Dear Isobel,
    I hope your ears get better. You are a very brave and wonderful girl.

    ReplyDelete
  18. I hope that Isobel can hear a lot better. I am very proud of her. It was also very interesting to learn about it.

    ReplyDelete
  19. It was really interesting looking at her hearing aids, but it is a bit sad that she right now knows that she has special ears! But I say that she is a really brave girl and I am so happy that she can now here much better than how much she could hear before she went to the hospital! Good Lucky ducks!

    ReplyDelete
  20. That last picture says it all!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Sally and Nick, you are the PERFECT parents for Isobel. I haven't kept up with FB and just read about Isobel's ears. All my love to your family and prayers for the miracles God has planned for you all. Judy

    ReplyDelete

Would love to hear from you...