Thursday 1 December 2011

Quick Guide Instructions

Day two of Isobel wearing her hearing aids. She was a little reluctant to put them in at first, but soon came around. I don't think she had much confidence in my ability of putting them in for her. I tried to explain that I would only get better if she let me practise, but she didn't seem overly impressed by that. Not to worry, she sat semi-patiently as I finally inserted them.

She likes to hear the popping sound you can make by pushing your finger on the inside of your cheek and out of your mouth. It was great to see her face as she wondered where the sound came from. She was a little disappointed however, when she couldn't make the same 'pop' though!

Story Time.
We did get a couple of 'Special ears off!' today, and a few little tugs on the tubes. But once Daddy started reading some books, it was all forgotten and everybody got immersed in the story.



Instructions for Inserting Hearing Aids
There really is a bit of a knack to getting hearing aids in. Here is the 'Quick Guide' Instructions. Of course it doesn't help that they are written in Korean. However, in this case, the diagrams do actually help.

Also you have to listen carefully as you put them in. Until they are in absolutely correctly, they make a kind of squeaking sound. I find that I have to  put my ear right next to hers to listen to the device, to make sure there is no sound coming out. At this point it is the only way I can tell if they're in properly. 

If Isobel fiddles or pulls them out a bit, the squeaking sound returns until they are once again fitted properly. I'm hopeful that this sound will soon discourage her from fiddling with them too much, but hope it isn't too uncomfortable.

We didn't manage our 2 hours today because of swimming, but she did manage a very good 65 minutes or so. Still pretty good going, seeing how new these little devices are to her.
Engrossed in the story

My mantra for the moment it the old favourite 'One day at a time.'

Until tomorrow...

No comments:

Post a Comment

Would love to hear from you...