Friday 27 January 2012

Mellow Yellow

The days are going past so quickly, it's Friday again already and we've done a great week of AVT. Isobel is still enjoying singing around the house it's mostly Incy Wincey spider, which she is very reluctant to perform on camera, See-saw, which she striving to teach all the campus kids, and lately Swish, Swish, Swish.


She is hearing high frequency sounds really well and from an increasing distance. Low frequency sounds are causing her to get a little muddled now that I am saying them more quietly. When we take her for her hearing test on Wednesday we are going to try and 'tweak' the programming of her hearing aids a little bit. Hopefully that will help her to hear those sounds at regular speech volume.

We are working on many different things these days and it is reminding me a lot of my days of teaching English. Possessive + noun, Noun + adjective, 2 nouns + adjectives and so on. She is doing a pretty good job at imitating, now we need to work on her spontaneous production of these things.




Today, we did a little bit on yellow, she can say yes with a good y sound and I think we got somewhere with yellow.

It wasn't until afterwards that I thought about how hard yellow is to say, and that a few of the reception kids I teach don't say it properly yet (and they hear perfectly). So silly Mummy, probably done something that is miles away yet, pushing her too hard...


In going through this process with Isobel, it has made me quite conscious about not giving her too many visual clues. Sometimes it is so difficult not to show her the shape I am making with my mouth. It is so important that she hears the sounds and speaks them from hearing rather than seeing. A friend of mine came across this video and it explains what I mean rather well.


Interesting!

1 comment:

  1. I admire you, Sally. You are so brave, patient and so good with your activities. Keep going, keep going great MUM!

    ReplyDelete

Would love to hear from you...