Wednesday 7 December 2011

Stage Fright

It was Isobel's Christmas concert today, from the look of it, they have been rehearsing for weeks. I had stage fright for her, not knowing just how she might re-act to a full audience, bright lights and the piano with her hearing aids. She of course handled is marvellously.

Understandably, she didn't sing much, but boy did she know the actions, when to ring the bell, and which bell was coming next.

You could definitely tell she was enjoying herself, particularly when she lead the Pre-School on a revolt from formation and had them all dancing at the front.

This really got me thinking about just how observant she has been, and how much she has picked up, despite being hard of hearing.

I imagine some of the rehearsals and learning of songs must have been really frustrating for her. I'm sure it would have been a lot worse if she didn't have the actions to go with the songs.
So huge thanks to her music teacher Mrs. Jun for those and no doubt bags of patience.

Today I was really proud watching her on stage with a tear in my eye and a lump in my throat. Even her turning around to 'sort out' the boy behind who kept fiddling with her hair didn't dampen my spirits. She did a really great job, and here is just a snippet of the concert.

Today is also day 5 of full time wearing hearing aids and it's also the first day she pulled them out, and apart, at school. I knew it wouldn't last forever! Not too much fuss, I managed to get them sorted and she was happy to put them back in.

We are really noticing a change, she really is becoming a happy little girl, just full of smiles and giggles and 'chitter chatter'. Not all of it makes sense, but there are new words everyday and we're even starting to get little sentences.

Life is good...

7 comments:

  1. How wonderful to see--the "special ears" are working and Isobel is adjusting beautifully! A truly awesome early Christmas present! Linda

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sally, thanks for sharing the blog. Isobel was great at the concert and I am glad to read that the full-time wearing of the hearing aids is progressing and new words are coming - very exciting!

    ReplyDelete
  3. WOW,she is great playing the bell I think she is getting the hang of the hearing aids annoyance.

    ReplyDelete
  4. She didn't sing much but she did good in playing the bells.

    ReplyDelete
  5. You are so brave Isobel

    ReplyDelete
  6. Isobel is a great child. Even though I didn't see the concert...I know she was fantastic and the audience were saying " Wow! She is so good!". I will read every blog post about Isobel and her 'special ears'!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Dear Isobel,
    You probably like to stand out of the crowd. I hope you have a wonderful time at school, home and outside or anywhere else with the help of your hearing aids.

    ReplyDelete

Would love to hear from you...